About the Valley of Heart’s Delight
“The Valley of Heart’s Delight” was the way in which Santa Clara County, home to San Jose and now Silicon Valley, was once described. For those of us who grew up climbing trees in the orchards, and who grow a few fruit trees in their own yards, it still is the Valley of Heart’s Delight. This valley was once famous for wheat, later for grapevines, citrus, nuts, cherry trees, and fruits of all kinds. Hints of the valley’s past are everywhere to be found.
On this website, we will focus on Los Gatos and nearby areas such as Saratoga, Campbell, Monte Sereno, Cupertino, the San Jose areas of Almaden, Cambrian, and Willow Glen, and adjacent communities throughout Santa Clara County.
Please also visit The Valley of Hearts Delight Blog for the latest market reports, area information, photos, tips, bits of history and more for Silicon Valley, San Jose, Los Gatos, Cambrian Park, Almaden Valley, Monte Sereno and Saratoga real estate and homes for sale!
- Homeowner’s Insurance, Title Insurance and Home Warranties - Clarifying various types of real estate related insurance products that are available when people buy & sell homes.
- Measure E Transfer Tax in San Jose - As of July 1, 2020, the Measure E transfer tax in San Jose will kick in. Homes sold for more than $2 million will be billed an additional tax, depending on the price point. San Jose already has a city transfer tax, which is $3.30 per thousand, which customarily is split 50/50 between buyer and […]
- Silicon Valley’s real estate market by school district: Santa Clara County - A look at the real estate market as broken down by elementary school district in Santa Clara County, for both single family homes and also the condo / townhouse market.
- What is an As Is Sale? - An As Is sale is one in which the seller is not required to make any repairs and underscores that the buyer is purchasing the property in its current condition. In Silicon Valley today, nearly all home purchases are “As Is” and without the current owner providing fixes or improvements to the property. One small […]
- Merrivale West San Jose Neighborhood & Homes for Sale - Merrivale West is a very popular community of townhouses in the "West San Jose" area offering beautiful grounds & homes as well as a fantastic commute location and low homeowner association (HOA) dues.
- Lies that sellers want to believe - This week I got a postcard from another real estate agent wanting to list homes in my neighborhood. It featured lies that sellers want to believe. Often what sellers want to hear is not what they need to hear to make well informed decisions that will benefit them the most in the long run. Most […]
- Coronavirus impact on real estate sales - This post on the coronavirus impact on real estate sales here in Silicon Valley is updated periodically, depending on unfolding events, so please check back often. Showings of all homes possible again, and the market heats up As of May 4, all homes were allowed by law to be seen again, albeit with many requirements. […]
This Silicon Valley Real Estate Website is provided to you by me, Mary Pope-Handy, a veteran Realtor, with Sereno Group in Los Gatos. No website, though, can give you precise advice or an expert opinion (not even this one!), so there are plenty of ways to contact me. I dislike pushy sales people as much as you do and always put my client’s best interests first.
Realtor, CRS, CIPS, ABR, SRES
CA DRE # 01153805
Los Gatos Office
214 Los Gatos Saratoga Rd
Los Gatos, CA 95030
408 335-1400 office
408 204-7673 cell